Monday, March 10, 2014

replacing-ge-microwave-magnetron-stirrer-diode



My sister has a famous GE JVM1650 that works normally EXCEPT no heat. She said it starts to make a different noise after a couple of seconds on, though. It appears from the internet that this is a common failure, using GE part WB27X10489 kit of diode/magnetron/stirrer to fix it. My question is: do you have to take the oven off the wall to do this, how hard/how much time to replace the components, and is it better to replace this 5 year old oven otherwise in very nice shape with a $200 new one. The part kit is about $130. Thank you very much for the opinions.

I'm sure that mitchella has long since resolved the problem, but for other readers who come across this post, here is how I replaced the magnetron in my GE JVM1631WB002 microwave. I have no idea how other models might differ. Also, I am not an electrician or engineer, so take the steps as an outline only and perform your own due-diligence. I suggest taking pictures along the way to ensure you get everything back together. I'm writing this from memory, and I'm not mentioning various wires that have to be remove or moved aside.
First, the magnetron has a 10 year warranty. After several people tried to schedule a (costly) service call, I finally called the warranty department at 888-239-6832, gave them my info, and they shipped out a new magnetron/stirrer kit. To install it:
1) Unplug microwave
2) Remove 2 screws and vent cover @ top front of microwave
3) Remove 1 screw at top of interface panel, slide panel up and away from the microwave. Disconnect wires (being careful not to touch anything that might shock you) and set aside.
4) Discharge capacitor.
5) Remove bottom panel (w/ filters and lights). After removing the screws it will hinge down from the back and will take some finesse to get off of the tabs it's hooked over.
6) Support the microwave and remove 3 screws holding it to the cabinet above. These will be accessible from within the cabinet.
7) Hinge down microwave and unhook from wall mounting plate. During this process you will need to feed the power cord through the hole in the cabinet.
8) Remove screw and silver plate around fans on the top back of the microwave.
9) Remove screw and plate holding power cord in place in the microwave cover.
10) Remove screws and cover (sides and top) of the microwave.
11) Remove 2 screws holding panel on the right side of the microwave, behind the capacitor. One screw is on top, the other in the front. Remove the panel.
12) Unscrew transformer from bottom and swing out of the way, so that the magnetron can drop free.
13) Unbolt magnetron and drop it out. Replace magnetron, transformer, and side cover.
14) Remove plastic clip keeping the plastic cover in the roof of the microwave's interior from twisting. You may have to do this from above, which will require removing the plate under the top filter. Remove the plastic cover and replace the stirrer. Replace cover and clip.
15) Replace diode between capacitor and chassis.
16) Reinstall cover and microwave by reversing previous steps.

I called this number and all I get is a recording saying if I'm calling after hows to call back, nothing on the message says what the company is. I did find another number for customer service but they said a repair person would have to come check out the microwave and determine if the magnatron is bad. The part is under warranty but they want to charge for a service call and labor. How did you get the part sent to you? I've replaced the magnatron in numerous microwaves so it's not problem but this one is outrageously over priced in the $120 range.

Originally Posted by sbown0221
I called this number and all I get is a recording saying if I'm calling after hows to call back, nothing on the message says what the company is. I did find another number for customer service but they said a repair person would have to come check out the microwave and determine if the magnatron is bad. The part is under warranty but they want to charge for a service call and labor. How did you get the part sent to you? I've replaced the magnatron in numerous microwaves so it's not problem but this one is outrageously over priced in the $120 range.
I call GE at 800-386-1215 option 5 to ask for a replacement Magnetron but was told that they will not send out any part due to radiation from the part. I was quoted by GE technician for $290.94 for labor to replace the Magnetron (part is free. How generous of GE?). That is why I ask for the part to do it myself. Filed a complaint with Dept. of consumer affair. Waiting to hear from them. Will update this post so that others will not make same mistake buying form GE again.

Originally Posted by Notsosmart
Will update this post so that others will not make same mistake buying form GE again.
Trouble is, I bet each company has things this way, with one appliance( and vehicles and other expensive things) or another. I know a company that charges $70 for refrigerator crisper drawers made like eggshells. They look like they should cost 50ў! You think I as a homeowner, would buy from such a company if I knew that in advance? What do we have to do to protect ourselves from such practices?: Ask for a parts list and check out the price and availability of all parts?
Either that or you have to find a better job so you do not have to worry about such stuff.

CA Consumer affairs contacted GE and they send me the magnetron. I replaced the Magnetron and the Microwave work. The moral of the story is not to buy from GE again. It costs way too much to buy their parts and service. Even when the part is under warranty, they still want to hassle you by not allowing you to do it yourself. The cost of the service call $99.95. Labor if they replace for me is around $280.00. That is ridiculos for 15 minute of work. GE sucks, I will never buy another product from GE or their subsidiary.

For the fun of it, you might want to call up another mfg. and see what their policy is. You might very well find them to have similar policies to your disliking. THEN who do you buy from?

This post was very helpful and informative. I have a 9 year old GE 36 inch microwave model jvm1860sd001 and lately it started making noise. After talking to couple of people and a mechanic, the magnetron unit needs to be replaced.
I was not knowing that it has a 10 year warranty and thanks for this post. I called GE repair and they gave me an estimate of $300 even though the part is covered under warranty.
I was very nice with the lady and she gave me a part department number 1-800-626-2002. The lady was very nice since I greeted her well. I cut to the chase. I gave her model # and serial number and asked her to ship magnetron unit to me since it is under 10 year warranty. She looked at her computer and said that yes it is under warranty and she took my address and will ship it.
I guess the idea is not to yell or become angry with the people as after all we are all human beings. I have found that most of the problems with customer service are solvable if we are nice with them. Yes, sometime, we do get a tough-nut to crack representative. In that situation, I just bail out and call again to to see if I get a better person to talk to.
Now, I just need to get someone to fix it.
It was good info that really helped me. THANK YOU.

I am amazed that GE - or any other manufacturer - would provide a customer with a replacement microwave magnatron tube and allow them to replace it themselves. There are high voltages present inside microwave ovens, and more importantly, if the new magnatron tube is not installed correctly and the oven reassembled correctly, dangerously high levels of microwaves might leak outside of the oven and harm anyone standing nearby. I would think most manufacturers would be horrified by the liability of allowing customers to attempt self repairs on microwave ovens. Most newer microwaves don't even have user-serviceable light bulbs and customers are advised to have a trained repairman replace the interior light bulb.
I've noticed that new microwaves no longer warrant the magnatron tube for any longer period of time than the overall oven warranty. It appears new microwaves are pretty much a throw-away commodity and it's cheaper to buy a new one that repair the old one.

There is a lot of scare propagated about high voltage capacitor and magnetron. This is very important to know that one has to discharge capacitor to avoid any mishap but there is no need to scare people. This is not a rocket science and can be done easily.
I would like to put my experiences here so that it is useful to others.
My GE Space maker XL 1800 is almost 10 years old now and one day, it broke finally. I checked the price and it is almost $900+ for the new one. I did not had heart to buy a new one so I decided to fix it myself.
It was a struggle to get this microwave off the range and I had to take help from my 2 daughters to get it finally down.
I opened the whole microwave and noticed that there was a sound coming from the logic / motherboard behind the panel. I discharged the capacitor by short circuiting it. This is the only precaution one has to take.
Since it was used for 10 years with heavy cooking, their was a lot of oily surface inside. I took W-40 and slowly cleaned the whole microwave from inside and outside to remove this thin oily film which was all over the place.
I contacted Sears Part and ordered a new motherboard / logic board which was $170 and when it came, I replaced it with the defective one. How I came to conclusion that the motherboard / logic board is gone is from the fact that I noticed some burned down on the board and the noise that seems to be coming was from a transformer like object on the board.
After I replaced the board, the Microwave started working again. I took this opportunity to replace the magnetron tube which I had gotten from GE. I thought initially that the magnetron tube was making noise as I read through several posts but it was not the case since the sound was still coming even after replacing the tube.
Since microwave was on the ground with top cover taken off, I noticed that this sound was coming from the top of the microwave and I saw a small motor at the top. I did not know what it was so I googled it. It turns out to be a stirrer motor and the sound was coming from this stirrer motor. I took it apart and based upon suggestions posted on the web, I tried to fix it myself so that the plastic gears which are in the contact of the bottom plate do not touch it by putting an O ring but it did not fix it.
I checked the price and it is an expensive motor around $90 from GE site so I bought a used one in $10 from ebay and replaced it.
After I replaced this stirrer motor, the microwave now runs as a new one with no grinding sound and it is very quite now the way it should be. So in just $190, I was able to fix this microwave and I am sure that it is going to last for another 5-10 years now since it has a new magnetron tube also.
The question is - is it the worth of trouble? The answer is - if you are willing and have patience then it is. Otherwise spend another $900+ to get a new microwave. I am very pleased that my this old microwave is now like a new one and please do not be scared of this high voltage capacitor and just know to short-circuit it so that it is discharged before you do the repair.
It appears from this whole exercise that this little stirrer motor was the culprit and it is a very poorly designed motor which is actually built by Samsung and not GE. It has some plastic gears and when they start touching the bottom plate of the motor due to wear and tear, this grinding sound comes which is very annoying.

I notice that Sears will not sell the average person a magnetron. My question is why? Is it due to the high voltage and shorting the capacitor? I read somewhere that after replacing the magnetron, you're supposed to perform a radiation leak check. This is my concern. I'm an electronics tech for 15 years, so the high voltage stuff does not concern me, but I don't know enough about radiation and don't want to chance any leaks. From what I read, it appears that the door seal is what prevents leakage, so changing the magnetron shouldn't have an effect. I much prefer to fix something if I can, but the safety of my family is first and foremost. Any thoughts on this?
I have a GE microwave model JVM1660AB. It is arcing and sparking up by the stirrer motor, even with the stirrer motor unplugged. I still have to pulll the cover to see if I can see what is going on in there. Right now, I'm assuming I need the magnetron/stirrer motor kit.
Thanks!
Doug

There is a lot of scare propagated about high voltage capacitor and magnetron. This is very important to know that one has to discharge capacitor to avoid any mishap but there is no need to scare people. This is not a rocket science and can be done easily.
No....it's not rocket science but it's VERY hazardous to most people.
I've seen them mis-installed and missing hardware.
- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If it's arcing and sparking then the mag is working. You've got another issue there.
If door gasket is clean and in good condition then leakage should be normal.






Tags: replacing, microwave, magnetron, stirrer, diode, stirrer motor, high voltage, under warranty, coming from, service call, that this, customer service